What are the causes of absenteeism?
Professional and/or personal problems may be at the root of absenteeism. Some examples are:
- the negative atmosphere at work and not very favourable labour conditions;
- the stress caused by an excessive workload;
- industrial accidents;
- health problems (illness or accidents that occurred outside the workplace);
- absences without a valid reason.
The causes of absenteeism are manifold. That’s why you need to find out precisely what they are (health, motivation, working environment, etc.) so that you can act in a targeted way.
What are the consequences of absenteeism?
For the employees present, the absence of their colleagues has a severe impact on their state of mind and may lead to:
- decreased productivity;
- loss of motivation;
- more stress due to a higher workload and sometimes longer working hours.
As an employer, you need to face the organizational and financial consequences:
- your projects are delayed;
- you are obliged to redistribute the work;
- you must find and train replacements for those who are absent;
- you face performance and even quality issues.
Each of these are valid reasons for acting fast by finding appropriate solutions for your situation.
Securex offers the following solutions to tackle absenteeism at work:
- an absenteeism audit of your company
- a strategy to fight absenteeism
- an action plan to reduce and prevent absences
- training courses on how to deal with absenteeism
- a procedure for work resumption after a prolonged absence
- medical check