1. Recommendations from fellow freelancers
That way you find accountants who serve freelancers and is familiar about your sector. For some freelancers, copyright applies, others have a different VAT regime, others might do a lot of business internationally.
You can choose between a large accountancy firm
who have a lot of various expertise or independent accountancy firms
with one or a few accountants taking care of the books.
There are pros and cons to both
, depending on your situation. A large firm might have access to very specific information and can grow along with your company. An independent one probably feels more personal.
2. Set meetings with several accountants before choosing
This way you can compare prices and approaches. It’s important that you feel comfortable and trust the person who will take care of your financials. Mistakes or inaction can become very costly.
If you physically want to meet your accountant, then location and proximity should pay a big role in your choice.
3. Ask them these questions:
- What will it cost? Prices can range from 600-4500€ depending on your company form, VAT status, amount of expenses and invoices, advice, tax submissions, digital tools, copyright application etc.
- If you are tight on budget, see if there is data-entry that you can do yourself to lower the price.
- Do they use digital tools, which ones? What will you need to do, how?
- Do they give pro-active financial advice too or is it just admin and bookkeeping?
- What is their preferred communication style? How long will you need to wait to get answers to questions? Can you call out of the blue? Is it better set an appointment, or is email best?
- Do they have experience with your situation?
- Do they update you on relevant tax changes?
I hope this article helps you select the best accountant to help you manage and grow your freelance business.
Anyone starting up their own business faces, next to accounting, all kinds of challenges and questions about social status, remuneration, sickness, costs, etc.
Start to Freelance by Securex can answer all your questions, and support you through the whole process.